The purpose of the Prevention Resource Center (PRC) is to increase the capacity of the statewide substance abuse prevention system for the 28 counties within Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) Region 8. The Public Relations Coordinator duties include increasing community awareness regarding substance use and misuse through Media Awareness Activities serving across the 28 counties in Region 8. Duties also include building the prevention workforce capacity through technical support and coordination of prevention trainings through the PRC Training Core.
REPORTS TO: PRC Senior Director
- Establish and maintain Community Agreements (CAs) with media outlets and community stakeholders that facilitate the implementation of Media Awareness Activities and maintain signed copies for review.
- Submit region-specific Media Awareness Activities as part of the PRC Implementation Plan for HHSC review and approval prior to dissemination.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the HHSC Prevention Media Campaign and other HHSC-funded grantees (i.e. CCPs and YPs – Universal, Selective, and Indicated) to develop and/or promote a consistent statewide message focused on the State’s four prevention priorities.
- Promote prevention messages through media outlets including, but not limited to, radio or television public service announcements (PSAs), media interviews, billboards, bus boards, editorials, and/or social
media (as permitted by SACADA) specific to the State’s four prevention priorities.
- Participate in quarterly calls with System Agency to discuss the assessment the impact of the Media Awareness Activities.
- Distribute weekly updates to HHSC-funded prevention providers within the region about the availability of substance abuse prevention trainings and other related trainings offered by the HHSC-funded training entity and other community-based organizations.
- Assist the HHSC-funded training entity by hosting trainings and coordinating host training sites.
- Work directly with the HHSC-funded training entity to promote and coordinate regional trainings.
- Promote the HHSC-funded training entity’s regional trainings to facilitate community stakeholder participation, ensuring at least 25% of the annual number of adults trained are representatives of external community stakeholders.
- Maintain a current regional contact list on PRC Region 8 website of all HHSC-funded Youth Prevention Programs (Universal, Selective, and Indicated), Community Coalition Partnerships, Tobacco Prevention
Community Coalitions, Suicide Prevention Coalitions, and other related prevention programs.
- Participate in monthly calls with HHSC and HHSC-funded training entity to provide information and facilitate coordination of curriculum trainings and other professional development trainings offered through the HHSC-funded training entity or other community-based organizations.
- Participate in conference calls and webinars as scheduled by HHSC.
- Attend HHSC Annual Prevention Provider Meeting.
- Complete the required trainings as stated in PRC contract.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of public relations, marketing, or public health preferred; commensurate experience.
- Experience creating and posting social media post for business or organization purposes.
- Experience working with creating, organizing, contacting media.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Adobe and other creative software.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience with the community
- Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) or be working toward Associate Prevention Specialist (APS) within 20 months of employment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in substance use/misuse prevention
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations.
- Must be able to lift, pull, and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Must have reliable transportation and provide your own transportation to community assignments. You will be reimbursed for mileage at the rate allowed by State programs.
- Must be able to work occasional outdoor activities and handle outdoor environmental elements.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when needed.
HOURS: Full Time Position (40 hours per work week) with flexible schedule.
TRAVEL: Local and Regional travel about 25% of time.
OUT OF TOWN TRAVEL: 10% for conferences, trainings or occasional meeting within state.
In addition to the above, the Public Relations Coordinator shall demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and goals of the San Antonio Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse and a level of energy commensurate with the Council’s expectations.
TO APPLY: Email Gloria Solis at firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and completed SACADA Employment Application or fax to 210-225-4768.